To improve the chance of getting help on a forum please follow these recommendations when posting a question:
Do your homework first
- Search for similar questions/answers on a forum. Try forum search and also Google your problem.
- Try to solve the problem yourself, and describe what you have tried. It is much more rewarding to help someone who has tried him/herself first.
Post in the right category, post only once and do not steal topics
- Make sure that you post your question in the correct category, and only post your message once.
- Do not post replies to old topics asking your own question. Start your own new topic instead. Hi-jacking other peoples topics is against the Forum Rules and irritates everyone.
Use a short and descriptive title
- The title is the only part of your message that most visitors will see, so make sure that a reader can understand the important part of your question only from reading the title.
- Do not use titles like “Need help”, “IMPORTANT”, “Problem”, “URGENT”. Stating the obvious or using all-CAPS just irritates people and does not make volunteers more willing to help you.
Include enough details, preferably also pictures
- Write a comprehensive question that includes enough details to understand your problem without having to ask complementary questions. Include important settings, extensions or software used, error messages, …
- Write in clear English if you can, using punctuation and paragraphs when needed. Preview and proof-read your message before you post it. Clear and well formatted questions always get more answers.
- Pictures / screen-captures are often better than words, so please take the time to attach pictures to your question.
- Describe what you have done to try to solve your problem. People are much more willing to help if you show that you have made an effort yourself first.
Give feedback and support the community
- Please say thanks when someone has helped you and summarize how you finally solved your problem. Everyone here are unpaid volunteers and it is much more fun to help people who show their gratitude. A final note on the solution also helps others with the same problem.
- Please also take the time to answer other people’s questions. Every community wants to be a place where everyone does their best to help each other.